4 Common Home Electrical Problems (and What to Do About Them)
You plug your laptop into your wall outlet, and you get nothing. The computer doesn’t even try to charge. At first, you thought the problem was with the charger.
That was until you tried three other electronics using the same outlet. You’re pretty sure it’s what’s busted. A broken outlet is one of the most common electrical problems that homeowners face, but it’s by far not the only one.
Broken switches and outlets are also not the most severe issue you could experience. You could suffer from frequent electrical shocks or flickering lights that make it appear as if your house has a ghost problem. Keep reading to learn more.
1. Light Switch Refusing to Work
Light switches that refuse to work are one of the most common home electrical problems that you can go through. There are many reasons why they’re not doing their job.
The installers could have made a mistake when they were wiring the home or it could be a simple matter of an old switch. Either way, the danger level here is pretty low.
Before you call a Generac dealer, do yourself a favor and try the light bulb in another part of your house. If it still doesn’t turn on, the problem is probably the bulb and not the switch.
2. Issues With the Circuit Breaker
When there’s an overloaded circuit, your breaker will turn off. It does this as a safety measure to prevent wires from overheating and starting a fire.
The circuit breaker may also trip from time to time if it’s old. If your system only trips occasionally, it’s nothing that you should have to worry about.
The only time you need to call electric services to take a look at it is if it’s tripping up at least once a day.
3. Hot Outlet
After a long period of use, it’s not weird for your electronics to run a little hot. The outlet should stay cool, however. If it’s warm to the touch, unplug your electronic device and stop using the outlet until you get an electric company to look at it.
The only exception to this is dimmer switches. They tend to run a little warm, but they should never get so hot that you burn your hand by touching them.
It’s not uncommon to feel some shocks from your electronics. As you walk across your carpet, you generate static electricity, which is what causes these little zaps.
The shock should never be too painful. If it is, that means that something is up with the wiring in your home.
Common Electrical Problems to Be Aware Of
Most people don’t go their entire lives in their homes without experiencing one of the common electrical problems on this list. Most of them are simple annoyances that you can deal with on your own.
The only time it’s a huge problem is if you’re dealing with a hot outlet or your electronics are shocking you. For these matters, you’ll need to call for electric repair right away. Failing to do so could result in a devastating house fire.
If you’re looking for more ways to troubleshoot issues and keep your home in one piece, visit the Lifestyle section of our blog.
For more articles visit this website